The Dutch-funded Niche/IDN/265 project focuses on curriculum improvement of the integrated coastal zone management and integrated water resource management curricula in place at respectively the Institute Teknologi Bandung (ITB) and the Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS). As the project is currently half-way its implementation, with some activities being carried out and others yet to be started, it is appropriate to obtain feedback from the lecturers, students and management staff involved in the project and find out more about project’s progress and expectations for the future.
To do this, the Sprockler methodology was used, an innovative research method to collect both stories as well as data. Through this methodology, more than 60 stories from lecturers, students and management staff were collected. In this report, you can click on a dot to read or listen to the experiences storytellers. Clicking on a dot enlarges the dot in that particular question and highlights this persons answers everywhere in the report allowing you to trace this person’s answers. Clicking on a dot a second time will close the story. It is also possible to trace several people at the same time. The stories were collected in English and in Indonesian. If the story is in Indonesian, an English translation is provided. Read your own story and that of others now!
A total of 61 respondents answered the Sprockler inquiry. The three graphs below show more details about who these respondents are. A larger part of the storytellers came from ITB. There were more males than females who responded to the questions and the majority of the storytellers from both universities are students.
We asked lecturers, students and management staff to share a story about a specific experience they had during the project. This story (positive, negative or neutral) could be about any moment that they found valuable to share. It could be about new knowledge, new connections, new exposure, or anything else that they find worthwhile describing, in relation to the project IDN265. After sharing a story, participants were asked to answer a series of questions interpreting their stories. Storytellers were also asked to give their story a title.
What was your story mostly related to?
What occurred in my story happened ...
Which parties were involved in this story?
From the question about what the story related to, we can see that a large part of the storytellers shared stories about short courses. The next graph shows that some stories happened just once and others continuously. To the question about which parties were involved, storytellers from ITS and ITB mainly indicated that their own university was involved in their story, but also selected each other, which shows that collaboration did take place.
The tone of voice in my story is ... combined with Group
The tone of voice in my story is (x-axis) + What occurred in my story happens (y-axis)
The next question asked whether the tone of voice of the stories was positive or negative. Most storytellers indicated that they shared moderately to highly positive stories. Teaching staff seems to be sharing especially positive stories. Some students shared more negative stories, and mainly talked about the fact that they were not fully involved in the project yet or did not know how to use new software. When combining the question about tone with the question about frequency, a matrix like above appears. Here we can see that most stories that were shared are about events that are positive and happen continuously. This indicates that continuous positive moments occur within the project. There are also quite a large number of stories that are positive and happen just once. The stories that are negative but happen continuously require attention. Clicking on those dots in the interactive report and reading those stories tells us that these experiences mainly relate to obtaining data, and that that is still a difficult process.
The next set of questions asked participants about their participation in the project. Most storytellers have been involved in the project through participating in short courses, needs assessment/planning or meetings and seminars. A relatively small amount of people has had exposure abroad or was involved in the development of ICT infrastructure.
How have you been involved with the project?
To which of the following goals do you believe the project has been contributing most?
Since my participation in the project, my view on adequate educational approaches for the water sector changed ...
When asked which goals they believe the project has been contributing to most, storytellers claim that that is transferring new knowledge and skills. Improved courses and curriculum, applying modern approaches and collaboration among stakeholders are also goals that are currently being contributed to according to the storytellers. Enhancing entrepreneurship and communication between education institutes are goals that are only limitedly contributed to right now. This indicates opportunities for the future. In the next question, most people believe their views on adequate educational approaches have changed moderately to a lot. There is a small group of students from ITB who shared a story and indicated that their view has not changed yet. Reading their stories gives insights into how they have been involved and how they could be included more in the future.
In general, the hopes and expectations that I have had of the project are ...
In general, the hopes and expectations for this project have been met or exceeded. No storytellers shared that they are unfilled with the project. To the question whether there is more interaction because of this project, storytellers say that the project has mainly lead to more interaction with government and other universities. Some interactions with the local community and the private sector have been made. The level of the new curriculum is considered adequate by most. It is remarkable that there are a few members of teaching staff who consider the new curriculum too low, which shows that there is room for more improvement. Students consider the level of the curriculum to be adequate or slightly too high.
Because of this project, we now interact more with ...
The level of the new curriculum is ...
What are benefits or insights you have gained during the project?
- new knowledge
- additional skills
- new skills and knowledge, new friends, enjoyment
- new experience and knowledge about integrated coastal zone management and the relation between curriculum development in TPSDA ITB
- add new knowledge in coastal sector especially related to Integrated Coastal Zone Management.
- Skill Pyhton
- - add new knowledge - stress reliever
- Increase students role in their knowledge gain processes, update our approach in utilizing advancement of technology in education, curriculum updates.
- - discover new programming technique
- Future problem solving using public domain softwares as the tools for water engineering decision making, ICT facilities I.e. Hydroinformatics Laboratory to support student assignments as well as academic staff research
- To learn how to plan the assignment 1 for the students, learning delf3d, microcontroller, qgis
- Better management of coastal
- Learn more
- I know more about flora and fauna in Ciliwung upstream and understanding the society condition
- This project makes me realize that integrated coastal zone management is very important because the complex problem of coastal zone can be solved by participants of all of people, not only certain sector. Besides, the advantage of this project is I know that most of people have been ignoring coastal management, including the pollution management and our coastal zone needs to be improved as soon as possible
- Benefit for our institution (ITB) is we get recommendation about what kind of curriculum that is useful for graduate, fulfil the needs, and know what to do in real life.
- This project is very helpful to widening knowledge and see the reclamation in new perspective
- I get new input, like we have an idea of what to do in Indonesia for long term solution so it can maintain the sustainability between supply and demand especially in water resources.
- innovative methods to plan appropriate solutions to address existing problems
- I get new method in management which is different from what I’ve got before. This project takes longer time that other relevant project.
- insights on iczm in particular, experience of open discussions with officials and policy makers
- That to create a professional human resources, we needs collaboration from all parties in a government system. And it is a long-term project that requires commitment from all parties.
- There are a lot of benefits because we have to improve our insight for balancing the students because field study will improve their thinking ability and self development of themselves
- knowledge that I didn't receive on class
- Benefit for personal institution and country
- New knowledge about open software 'Python'
- Spreading the ecological hydraulis with government policy support
- Learn new things (software Delft3D) and broadening networks
- Broadening my view in IWRM
- To be good preparation plan and implementation focus to subject be treated to find solution of problem insight subject
- Many aspects related to ICZM project to our department (Ocean Engineering Department) were improved, such as: improved curriculum, technical skills of our staff, facilities & equipment, networking, etc.
- Not all people have intellectual background so we have to be adaptive to face any kind of people
- I explored the Jakarta City for the first time for free and that's a very nice thing. I also learned a lot about how to run a project (Giant Sea Wall). Thank you sir.
- he was taught how to interview people better
- He gained moral value not to underestimate people.
- Got much more broader perspective in planning something
- The problems of Jakarta, I know more about it. And also how to design a masterplan.
- From this project, I get many information that I didn't know before such as land subsidence in Jakarta.
- 1. I learned how to speak for informations that are needed. 2. I learned how to think realistically for solutions with a named problem.
- How my peers think?
- That land subsidence in Jakarta really happened and now, that problem is really crucial and need to solve
- Opinions about solution for the problem and how to create a good masterplan
- To make a masterplan, we need to interact directly to the people and the other stakeholders. Besides that, I know that Indonesia still has a problem in water resources
- New perspective about gender issue
- Know more opinions related to gender issues
- Alya become aware of her surroundings about gender issue
- More interaction and sharing news with other institutions development of coastal zone
- Benefits gained is to learn and explore marine engineering
- New experience and knowledge about software that I have never used before
- Able to use open source Delft3D software
- Increasing the experience in the work field
- from my research, I know how to operate Delft3D
- It makes me understand about damage in coastal area and have brainstorming with the local people related with that problem.
- By doing survey in the field, we know more about how to do bathymetry measurement, like the steps and the tricks. In the class, we only know about the theory. Besides, we also know the difficulties so we should learn more about that to overcome those difficulties.
- The benefits that I have gained during this project is having new ability in new CFD software like Autodesk one.
- Able to make my final project easier
- Know more about this method and the application
- I became aware and know how to speed up the delayed project. And know the advantage of bamboo matress and cluster in ocean engineering and geotechnic.
What have you done with the gains or insights that you obtained through the project?
- delft 3d for my thesis
- I apply this on my research and education
- transfer knowledge to students and someone needed
- planning and addopt the hydroinformatic laboratory in TPSDA ITB
- update and enhance teaching course materials
- improvement of lecture material
- conduct an invited talk, gathering session with students and lecturers to talk about gender issues in ITS
- Adjust of teaching strategy towards better learning process, tell/share students on how to obtain data using a DIY remote acquisition system. Emphasize students to learn open source software (such as Q Gis)
- - apply it on weir design
- The use of phyton and next for students implemented to final project for students and how to meet the future curriculum to anticipate future problem solving
- to implemnet to undergraduate course moduls
- More aware with the coastal condition
- Finishing my task
- I become more aware to social and environmental condition
- In this seminar, i participate to add my opinion as a student about how to develop the coastal management and finding the solution. And increase the awareness about how important is the coastal zones
- I express my opinion on the reclamation project.
- One of this project is about the training of python software, this really help me in working on my final project. From this i discover new coefficient which related to the spillway and helps me with the design and the analysis. From this seminar, we also get a lot of input a new topic to discuss in student community and also suggestion to the government
- use this planning methods on other aspecs, such as in competition and students organizations
- What I do is take advantage of the benefits themselves to be able to develop myself and my personality
- I become more open minded ang try to spread the benefits to people around me
- I try my hardest to improve my ability in developing my knowledge due to the field requirement and technology development
- nothing too important, just for personal insight because I am still learning on college
- Improvement of quality and quantity in teaching (integrated coastal management, coastal process, and oceanography)
- Change the public regulation
- I learn another methods/software to evaluate, study and solve the coastal problems such as sedimentation or water quality.
- Improved my teaching courses
- Moral to move in the next project in order to have good plan / design and result
- Use all benefits from the project to improve our department capabilities, such as: applying the trained material (software) for our lecturers to our students through learning process, etc.
- Not yet
- Well I might have done a little with it, but in the future I think it will make me do things easier and better when I once become an engineer and really take part in a big developmental project.
- He could get better information from interviewing people
- he never underestimate people again.
- Not yet
- I have become more concern of the environmental problems especially in my surroundings
- I care more about Jakarta, like I don't litter anymore. Even though it is only a minor cause, but it can give impact to flood in Jakarta.
- I do well in organisations, thinking for solutions.
- I start to care more about environment
- Creating better solutions to the problem
- Shared the knowledge to others about this issue
- I took decision not only based on my old perspective but with my new perspective especially when it relate to gender issue.
- I assist three persons with Delft3D
- More understanding of the opinions of others
- Done nothing yet
- Generally the participants did not know about the importance of the problem related to social, political, and economic to the coastal zones
- understanding of coastal engineering
- make the batimetry mesh and modeling the depth
- able to work my final project with new software
- more open to science
- Trying to do my final project
- I learn a lot about how to planned breakwater design and learned about how to socialize with local communities
- The advantage from the survey is to share with other people that bathymetry survey is really important and need high precision/accuracy. Survey is not as easy as the theory.
- I have gained an analyse of sea water flow at intake canal for cooling system of power plants.
- Using Delft 3D as tools to make final project easier
- Understand more about the method and able to do the management analysis
- I have not received a similar project since I last followed the practice work
Regarding the wishes for the future, students feel that support of management and expertise are what is most needed to continue applying new insights. See the image below. This seems to be in line with students considering the new curriculum slightly too difficult, as they would benefit from more expertise and support in understanding the new curriculum. For lecturers, financial resources seem to be most important. Collaboration between the different players in the water sector and between the educational institutes in Indonesia is what the project needs most of according to the storytellers. This could be influenced by the timing of the Future Search conference, and shows that although one of the previous questions showed that other parties were involved in the events described by the storytellers, even more collaboration is desired. More practice into the courses and better communication and information infrastructure follow this. Two people indicated that the project is currently doing all the right things. In general, we can infer from this that, although a lot of positive stories have been shared and that good things have been achieved, there is a lot of energy to continue and to do more within this project.
What do you need more of to continue or follow-up on applying new gains or insights?
In your opinion what would the project need to do more of?
Participants were also asked about the gender balance in the courses. Most storytellers believe that the gender balance in their courses is not an issue. There is a slight difference between males and females. Some stories that are shared (mainly) by women note that there are not many female lecturers, there is body shaming in class, and that working with software requires being at the university, which can be difficult with a family. The full responses can be read below.
In my view the gender balance in our courses is …
Can you explain your answer?
- gender is not an issue
- I don’t see the gender difference
- gender issue in indonesia is not significant
- too many male students
- Lack of support and opportunities to participate for female lecturers. Lack of facilities for women work, especially regarding pregnancy conditions-new childbirth.
- gender issue is not a concern
- In my view it's not an issue; however I need some advice / comments.
- it is not big problem in indonesia
- There is no discrimination and excellent equity among gender
- Because the society is still affected with culture in paying attention to gender
- The gender issues come when we question them
- I never looked at people by their gender. I looked people by their skill
- Gender equality in Indonesia is still a hard topic to discuss, this is because many people see this issue from religious point of view. This is very difficult because many Indonesian people do not see religious point of view as a private sector. Therefore, many people want to apply their religious point of view to all indonesian people although Indonesia have an religious diversity
- There is no gender issue
- As an academist, I dont have friends or listening to the gender equality issues
- there ar no gender issues in the world of professionalism, and indeed for the real world or field, there are ethics due to culture in Indonesia itself that we must understand
- Because I think in Indonesia, especially on campus, there is no issue about gender differences. That both men and women are able to do everything as long as it is desirable and necessary.
- Gender equality had been applied in Indonesia. It is started from Kartini who did a lot changes in women issues. Now, women have been leading in government or private sector on any profession. There are a lot of things to be proud from women without ruling of men. Women tend to be more care and can solve the problems without violence
- In Indonesia, it is not a crucial problem. It already become culture and understood by each other
- No gender issue in Indonesia
- We have been taught in balance gender since childhood
- At ITS there are no problems with gender issues, every students has same opportunity and chance for every activities
- In educated community, gender balance is not an issue. In rural areas, gender is part of the cultural custom.
- It is clear that no gender to obtain the occasion to study in university in general
- The gender issues in our department actually is not critical one. So far we already proportionally done any aspects related to our human resources. We only need knowledge and information to enhance our view on it.
- I dont really care about that topic. I view them as the same.
- It doesn't really matter if you're a male or a female, in this course we do the same things and we do together .
- he just dont see any problem
- he didn't see any problem
- While there are some little things that affect the course, its not that much of a deal
- Gender is never be an issue and never will be as we have to respect each other depends on their attitudes
- In my major, the guys do the body shaming on us that makes us down. So I think its problematic and it is not gender balance.
- It is not an issue, we feel it, just, no issue about gender balance in our course
- Like, most us us don't see it as an issue
- Body shaming is still the problem at this college, I know some of boys think it is just a joke, but I think sometimes they take too much as this jokes.
- Adjusted with the ability
- Gender equality is not really an issue
- Everybody is treated equally.
- Adjusted with the ability
- I feel the gender inequality is not really a big issue although it happens
- Male and female participants are balance
- I think, both woman and men deserve the same education
- There is no gender equality issues
- In Indonesia, gender equality already in good condition
- woman emancipation
- Gender equality issues is not a matter to be questioned, because this project can be done by both men and woman
- No gender problem in this project. Everybody can do it. But there is a little bit problem like "timing". Doing a modelling, especially for 3D and CFD requires a computer with high specifications like in the laboratory. But some of woman have to go home before night so it may be a little problem
- Because delft3D is easy to learn
- in every job and analysis about some issues/problems, we need to focus about finding the solution. So it doesn't matter whether men or women as long we can solve the problem
- Actually there is no problem at all, it's just that very few women who take this field of science in my experience